Wednesday 6 April 2016

April 6 - Wind, ghosts, flora & Fauna

We went into town to check the air on the CRV tires.  There was a strong north wind and the water flow over the dam had increased to a steady flow.  A water snake was swimming across (not in photo).





Mineral Springs is most famous for its Baker Hotel.  There are 2 old hotels left over from the heyday  of the 1900's when tourists came to the highly popular mineral springs.  Today it is in decay and the site of ghost tours on Saturdays.  It has beautiful stone work and balconies and must have been quite the place in its glory days.



Baker Hotel


most fast food spots in a town we've seen so far

We drove out to Penitentiary Hollow in the park which has a viewpoint and is popular with rock climbers.





I will not miss the snakes of Texas.  There are 68 species of snake in Texas.  I have seen more snakes in the last week than I saw in the last 18 months.  Guaranteed at least 2 snakes a day swimming by our RV window and others along the trails, where I'm fishing, etc.  Then, I was driving out and thought I saw a mouse on the road.  Twas not a mouse, my first wild tarantula, I think I like the snakes better.


tarantula (mouse size)

Other pleasanter photos.





about an inch long beetle found on oaks


Kirk and I spotted this giant Rock Toad in our walking travels.  My mother would love it for her garden.

No comments: