Saturday 7 January 2017

January 5 & 6th - Three Kings Day

I headed over to the Pemex at La Colonia yesterday, and there were no lineups, so I thought that they were out of gas again.  However, the lanes weren't blocked (as they are when they have no gas), so I pulled in.  They were out of regular gas (Magna), but did have number one gas, albeit at $18MXN/litre, which is why the locals had decided to pass.  I was lazy, and didn't know if any of the other Pemexs had gas, so I treated the CRV to $500 worth of high test, which took it from under a 1/4 tank to more than 3/4 of a tank.  This will suffice for local commuting,  until guests start arriving and I voyage into the Puerto Vallerta airport on occasion.

While I was out and about, I checked out a couple of paint stores, and picked up a litre of stain for our new steps.  I did the inquiries and transaction en español; the guys in the stores let it be known that they spoke inglès, but put up with my lumpy proto-spanish, and answered me in simple language so I could understand.  Mission accomplished.  There are at least four specialty paint stores in La Peñita, including two almost side by side in the same block.  Unlike Canada, where they have a few very large stores a long ways apart, Mexico has many, many little stores, nearly always within walking distance of wherever you find yourself.


The beach out front is moving around again (still).  Between the first and second breakwaters, and past the second breakwater, the ocean had been relentlessly carving away the sand.  In the last week, however, past the second breakwater, the ocean has decided to deposit 30 or 40 metres worth of beach.


It is winter here, or at least the dry season.  The fig tree out front is recycling it's leaves; pretty much all of the old leaves have dropped, and the new leaves are sprouting.

Whales have been in the bay again.

No comments: