Wednesday 16 January 2019

Maracuja

On our walk into town this morning I met a guy selling unusual fruit from a truck.  I asked him what it was and he said "Maracuja".  That didn't help to enlighten me.  Another fellow was buying a bagful and mimed that I should cut it in half and then scoop out the inside, add agua (water) and azúcar (sugar) "Es muy bueno"!  Ok, I bought some.  Mexicans are always trying to be helpful and educate us.  I appreciate their patience and good will.

Maracuja is a variety of passion fruit.   The floral, sweet, and tangy flavor is characteristically tropical.  It is surprisingly light in weight and about the size of a pear.  It has a lovely smell once cut open.  The internal cavity exposes a mass of slippery black seeds encased in yellow, wet pulp, and can be slurped from the center.  I went to our neighbour and asked Jideera what to do with this fruit.  She told me to make liquado which is what the guy on the street told me.  So I scooped out the seed mass and put it in a blender with water, sugar and ice and it made a nice tropical refreshing drink.  And so we continue on our venture to sample the different fruits and vegetables found here.

Maracuja



Empty shells are sometimes used for candles

 On the malecón, the Magnificent Frigate birds were taking a break and posing for photos today.





I also decided to include a few more photos of vegetation in La Peñita Trailer Park.  Sometimes I try to focus on the ordinary day to day around the park.



 Tulip tree







 Fig tree




I had a tail light out on the CRV.  Youtub'ed it,  hmm, not exactly straightforward to change.  If any of the many plastic bits broke, we'd likely have to get someone flying down to bring some.  OK, let's get the bulb first.  I drove over to an open to the street autoparts tienda in La Colonia.  The guy behind the counter was talking to his wife and two kids.  Despite my Spanish, they quickly figured out what I wanted, the man dug into a small paper bag and extracted a small single bulb.  I was on about how it had to be a 7443 bulb.  Practically, he said, let's see what you have.  We went out, I turned on the lights, and ran the lights through their paces, while he watched to identify the offender.  We peered through the taillight lens at the bulb, which was the size of your little fingernail.  Yep, that's it, he said.  Want me to change it for you?  Yes, please.  Out came the screwdriver and nut driver, off came the large, one-piece lens body, which I held, while he popped out the old bulb, inserted the new bulb, which immediately came on!  Success!  He popped the lens back onto the car and screwed it on.  As we walked back into his store, I asked, how much?  Five pesos, he says.  I paid him, then tried to give him 20 pesos for his trouble.  Oh, no, he says, I'm happy to do it for you.  We shook hands as I thanked him very much, and I was on my way.  Ah, Mexico.

No comments: