Wednesday 27 January 2016

January 27 - Toro! Toro!

This morning there was a frenzy on the beach.   Pelicans diving everywhere, fish jumping and sardines swimming up onto the beach.  Park folks running down to watch.  Toro, Toro!  This is the local name for the Pacific Crevalle Jack.  They travel in large schools and crash the beach chasing sardines in feeding frenzies that last about 15 minutes.   I saw Michelle pulling in fish below our site.  I grabbed my rod and raced down to the beach.  I grabbed some sardines that were running up the beach to escape the Toro and put one on my hook.  Michelle and another fisherman had already pulled about 5 Toro out one after the other.  As soon as my sardine hit the water I had one but he escaped with the bait.  I put on another sardine and instantly had another Toro. I fought with him on my 12 lb test line and MB pickerel fishing rod for about 15 minutes.  Then got him up on the beach.  Our neighbor's son was visiting so I handed him the rod and put on another sardine and he had one instantly but it stole the bait.  We were out of bait fish and the Toro were nearly gone.  the whole thing lasted about a half hour.  The end tally - Michelle got 7, another fellow landed one and lost a few, I got one and lost one.


 At last, right time, right hook, right bait.




Learning to fillet Toro.


I had to cut away a piece of dark meat on the skin side of the filet which is not very good.



One side finished.







The Mexican staff at the park will take the remainder of the fish.

We ended the day at a birthday party for a friend with pizza, margaritas and daiquiris.

1 comment:

Garry said...

Fishing !!! You got my attention. The adventure looks great, good for you, we must tap into your adventures when you get back. Toro Toro !!!