Tuesday 1 December 2015

December 1st - Televisión?

When we purchased the Bigfoot, we knew it had a satellite dish stowed on the roof.  Due to the poor health of the original owner, we never did get a walk-through on the satellite system.  In our travels to date, we've never found it necessary to try to figure it out.  Until now.  We've been in the park for a month now (Happy December), it's nearing the shortest day of the year, and we're at the edge of the Mountain Time Zone.  In short, it gets dark here about 5:30.  Television is looking better all the time.

I dug through the documentation (thank god) and tried to figure it out.  Questions abound.  Can the dish get a satellite shot through the Mango Tree across the road?  Can I get Shaw to register and activate the receiver? How does the dish work?  What about the maze of wiring stuffed up into the left overhead compartment?  The more questions I asked of TTK (Those That Know), even more questions arose.  Is it a two or three wire LNB?  The neighbour volunteered, scampered up onto the Bigfoot roof with surprising agility, and confirmed my dish was a two wire LNB.  Is my home setup two or three LNB (they have to match)?  10 years old, so probably.  Oh yeah, and I did not have a television.

Turns out my setup was installed in 2010, surprisingly modern.  It is a GPS automated set-up Nomad dish.  I emailed Shaw to add the Bigfoot's receiver to the two I have at home.  I wired everything up, now having a pleasing array of lights that look convincingly functional, and I borrowed a tv from the neighbour, a back-up, in case one of his two should go down.  Once I hear back from Shaw, we'll push the magic button, see if the dish un-stows and erects, and start working our way through the software. Queín sabe?  It may work.




What with it being December and all, Nancy went nuts decorating the rig.  Handmade bells from the market.

Cousin Terry is in town.  We're heading to Puerto Vallerta in the morning to rescue him from his all-inclusive hotel, and drag him out to the wilds of La Peñita for a day or two.

No comments: