Friday 27 March 2015

Isla Blanca State Park, South Padre Island, TX.



We arose early, which is now 8, and left for Isla Blanca State Park on South Padre Island.  Yes, it is as beautiful here as they say.  We were given a nice but not prime spot so while Cam sat exercising his patience, I immediately went back and got the one 200 yards off the beach with palm tree surrounded by easter lilies which is appropriate for April.  



The beach dunes hide the ocean view but you can hear it.  Kirk and I went for a hike down the beach and he had a "I am a crazy dog" moment leaping and running in the surf.  They allow dogs on the beach so long as he is leashed so he did 30 miles an hour in the surf around me leaving me dizzy. 



Later Cam, Kirk and I went down to the breakwater to watch the boats and anglers.  The boats going out the channel range from fishing boats to the occasional massive ship.  People were catching a lot of Sheepshead, which is similar to an armored bony sunfish with grandpa's false teeth.   I talked with a Mexican vendor who was filleting fish for $5 a fish. I immediately thought, geez I could help him and make a few bucks.  He was using a wicked knife, shears and pliers.  We compared notes on filleting in Canada vs here and immediately agreed the “rabbit ears” (throat) was the best part and most people miss that point.  He also kept the back bone for deep frying and the head for soup. He said there is not enough cheek on these fish to keep. He was aghast that we ate the livers.  I told him I used to fillet fish and sell parts to Americans too.  I also kept the heads and rabbit ears, we had a good laugh and visit. Several feral cats were getting the leftovers.  He also told me which is the best and cheapest seafood restaurant.   It looks like Cam might be able to fly his glider on our end of the beach where it is quieter.  We think we might just stay here longer than we intended.





So, when Nancy went shopping in Brownsville, the nice trailer park lady gave her directions to an upscale HEB grocery store.  Directionally challenged Nancy ended up at a small hispanic HEB, and did the normal shopping, including Spicy level salsa.  Today, we had the salsa, which was green (peppers) instead of the usual red (tomatoes).  ¡Ay, caramba! It was smoking, but great.  Later, however, I had the legendary "Bowels of Fire" or "Entrañas de fuego"!  Lesson to be learned - when shopping in hispanic stores, downgrade spicy to medium, or maybe even wimp out to mild...


Happiness is having a palm tree in the skylight of your camper

42 Km. today

No comments: