Tuesday 10 March 2015

March 10



I set off this morning around 6:30 a.m. before the sun rose high enough to bring the heat (thank god) to hike the Borrego Palm Canyon trail 3.0 miles return.  I only met a few early birds on the way in and did not see any Borregos (Peninsular Bighorn Sheep). The hike is described as a "gently climbing trail" leading to a native palm grove and a large sign says take at least a gallon of water or you will die. I took 2 litres.  I climbed leisurely through smaller rocks in a canyon littered with wildflowers. Then the trail wound through larger rocks with small exposures of sand which you could sometimes reach your foot into if you were a Bighorn while hanging onto a rock face wondering if this was actually the trail or just some whim of a group of touristas that wandered off.  I got off trail once for a few minutes and in turn later redirected a few other folks who took other wrong routes.  Not a matter of getting lost because you are in a canyon, but rather a matter of getting through the canyon with the least resistance.  For example, one redirection involved me hearing people saying "we are lost” then hollering down to a couple about 50 feet below me to go back and follow a switchback up.  


 Wild Canterbury Bells, Rock Daisy, Little Gold Poppy


Palm Canyon Oasis with Brittlebush on right (yellow)

Having said that, this hike was a worthwhile endeavour because the oasis was gorgeous with a stream emerging from it which meandered along a portion of the trail.   Much to my delight frogs and birds were singing, bees buzzing, hawk moths and butterflies flying, flowers blooming and yes palms and cattails living together.  I soon found a Pacific tree frog and some tadpoles (likely different species). 





On the way back the sun shone in parts of the canyon and lizards were sunning and bobbing up and down saying “Hey,hey, SeƱora, take my peekture next”.  New bird - Black-tailed Gnatcatcher.  The numbers of tourists increased the closer I got to the parking lot, another reason to go early. 



Cam, Kirk and I drove to the Visitor Centre after I got back.  Kirk was his high energy self so Kirk and I did the .6 mile trail back (only one allowing dogs) between the centre and campground.  This was around 11:30 a.m. with the sun beating down. There are signs warning that dogs get burned paws so I tested the paved trail every now and then.  We spotted more desert blooms.  
 Beavertail cactus

 Wolf's Cholla
 Barrel Cactus

Indigo Bush



Kirk had a big drink and flopped for about an hour when we got back. Siesta time is a reality here.

Later we drove around the outskirts of the town to look at some wildflower meadows that were marked on the map.
 Sand Verbena and Dune Evening Primrose


Desert Sunflower, Sand Verbena and Dune Evening Primrose


We ended the day sitting in the dark listening to the warm desert breezes blowing in the palms and watching the bats hunt.

No comments: