Saturday 14 March 2015

March 14th



Today I went back to the town centre for the Borrego Springs Art Show while Cam and Kirk chillaxed in the sun.   This is a 2 day event so the town and campgrounds have filled up.  There were about 30 artists displaying their wares.  Unfortunately the painting I liked of the desert in bloom was $3500, ack!  So I left empty handed.  The market is situated in the middle of a traffic circle so no crosswalks with a few hundred people darting across it everywhere while several rows of cars circle.  Some town planner had an interesting idea.  

The local Natural History Association has a store so I went there, made a few purchases, and received a free map of where the flowers are in the area.  I drove around, saw flowers but not the elusive desert lily which is rumoured to be blooming. 

Last night while I was in the pool, 2 little boys about 9 and 11 on bikes came along and grilled me with a series of questions.  "Where was I from?"  I told them.  "Why was I here?"  Because the water at home is frozen 4 feet thick.  “Cool, do you have a bike?” My husband has an electric bike.  “Can you borrow it?”  Hmmm.  Yes.  “Are you going in the Run?”  Run? on bikes?  “yep (a thoughtful look) How fast can it go?” Twenty miles an hour.  “(more consideration) you could come”  So the up shot was people are also in town for the “Run" today and I was deemed likely to be able to do it.  I took a pass.  

Instead we repeated yesterday with a swim and beverages, followed by Mexican takeout ($12)  and another perfect desert night. The campground was hopping tonight but the long term campers said "they’ll all clear out by Monday”.  This town reminds me of what Banff must have been like 40 years ago.

No comments: